How do they know you're using an phone app?

Moderator: blueman

kpower

How do they know you're using an phone app?

Post by kpower »

More and more providers are asking to not use phone apps. I'm just wondering how do they know you are using one? Is there an app that detects this or maybe there's a pool of numbers that are used for apps and there's a database for it? Just curious.

K
blueman

Re: How do they know you're using an phone app?

Post by blueman »

It's a good question, I googled "how to check if phone number is VoIP" came up with a few answers, basically, it seems like it's possible but not 100% reliable.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-tell-if-a-phone-number-is-internet-number
funlovin

Post by funlovin »

The obvious, but easily overlooked, way to tip them off is if you forget to change the default signature on the text app. Textnow for example I believe has a default "Sent from TextNow" signature it adds. :lol:
blueman

Post by blueman »

funlovin wrote: Tue 09-Feb-2021 1:12 am The obvious, but easily overlooked, way to tip them off is if you forget to change the default signature on the text app. Textnow for example I believe has a default "Sent from TextNow" signature it adds. :lol:
LMAO yes, THAT would do it :)
Flatulent Fox

Post by Flatulent Fox »

There are websites where you can look up the carrier for a phone number. If it's Rogers, Bell, etc., it's a real phone. If it's some other internet/telecom company (e.g. Distributel), it's voip or an app.
Last edited by Flatulent Fox on Mon 08-Aug-2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PervyErnie

Post by PervyErnie »

One thing that I've also found to help is to change your text app username to your assigned phone number in (XXX) XXX-XXXX format so that even if one of these girls is using the same text app as you, they might not catch it.
EATMYSOX

Post by EATMYSOX »

Most free text apps have a watermark that most likely can't be removed, or they can't accept calls. I use an app called "Burner" $5 a month for one line that you can make and receive calls and text with no limit. Also text apps usually have some random area code. I have a 647 number with Burner and you wouldn't be able to figure out that it's a phone app.
willy

Post by willy »

Flatulent Fox wrote: Tue 09-Feb-2021 2:34 pm There are websites where you can look up the carrier for a phone number. If it's Rogers, Bell, etc., it's a real phone. If it's some other internet/telecom company (e.g. Distributel), it's voip or an app.
Yep this is correct.
EATMYSOX wrote: Thu 11-Feb-2021 3:57 pm Most free text apps have a watermark that most likely can't be removed, or they can't accept calls. I use an app called "Burner" $5 a month for one line that you can make and receive calls and text with no limit. Also text apps usually have some random area code. I have a 647 number with Burner and you wouldn't be able to figure out that it's a phone app.
I have recently discovered line2 which is $15 a month, not sure if its worth it over the free apps. You can still determine if a phone is from an app even if it has a 647 area code.
max55555

Post by max55555 »

Flatulent Fox wrote: Tue 09-Feb-2021 2:34 pm I have recently discovered line2 which is $15 a month, not sure if its worth it over the free apps. You can still determine if a phone is from an app even if it has a 647 area code.
Yes, Line2 usually behaves exactly like a normal number to them. Only on maybe 2 occasions, did they say something. I've been using it for years and for the price, it's worth every penny.
kpower

Post by kpower »

So I recently came across a website that can check the phone number carrier. If you're using a burner app or Voip phone number, this can be checked. Here's a sample site: https://www.freecarrierlookup.com/

Voip numbers' carrier seem to show up as Iristel Inc (https://iristel.com/), which is a telecom company that probably creates the voip numbers for the different apps. I tried some free ones and they all showed up as Iristel. I don't know whether SPs are checking these things, but they are out there.

Wanted to share.

K