Can STIs be Detected Through Regular Blood Work?

Talk about health issues here. Be careful out there folks!

Moderator: blueman

LeadBelly

Can STIs be Detected Through Regular Blood Work?

Post by LeadBelly »

I think I may have caught something (my dick is itchy), although I suspect it is not as serious as herpes or AIDS.

I am thinking of using Teletest to see if there is an issue.

The problem is I am seeing a doctor regularly for concerns unrelated to sexual health.

I am scheduled to have some regular blood work done soon for him.

My question is: can STIs be detected through regular blood work, not planned for sexual health? Are there any issues caused by the STIs that may pop up requiring further investigation, even if the blood work does not detect STIs?

I have a good relationship with the doctor, but frankly, I would die of embarrassment if he knew I had an STI.
Flatulent Fox

Re: Can STIs be Detected Through Regular Blood Work?

Post by Flatulent Fox »

I don't think so. When your doctor requests blood work they indicate specific things they're looking for, e.g. cholesterol, blood sugar. They won't randomly test for STIs or anything else because that's an added cost to the health system (i.e. taxpayers).

Your doctor should give you a requisition form to take to the lab which indicates what they are testing for. You can look at that and see what they are testing for and what they aren't (there are a bunch of checkboxes).
mysiteonly

Post by mysiteonly »

I was wondering the same thing, going for a physical soon myself.
blueman

Post by blueman »

Like Fox said, the doctor has to request the test when doing bloodwork, if you look at the requisition form, you'll see some things checked off, and others not. I don't know your home situation, but I don't think it should be an issue asking them to do a check just for because you haven't had one for a while.

Now for certain STDs (gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis A, B and C) the doctor does have to report it, but that can be done through a public health nurse anonymously. They will ask for your partners; in the past, I usually say just see 1-2 people casually.

If you'd rather not tell your doctor, can always go to a walk-in clinic. Same reporting requirements if any serious STIs are found, but you can just say it' casual partners. Maybe even say you've already told them and they're getting checked out. The reason they want to contact these people is to make sure it gets treated and doesn't get spread further.
I think I may have caught something (my dick is itchy), although I suspect it is not as serious as herpes or AIDS.
When I was looking at the sexualhealthontario.ca site, under the penis health section they mentioned not washing could cause some irritation, you could definitely ask about that at the clinic, there seem to be a few non-sexual stuff that could cause it to be itchy, but getting a test is good idea if it sticks around for a week or so.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/sexually-transmitted-infections-tests
https://www.actioncanadashr.org/resources/sexual-health-info/sexually-transmitted-infections/sti-testing-faqs
https://sexualhealthontario.ca/en/sexual-health#healthy-relationships
TOXer

Post by TOXer »

You could have picked up a yeast infection if engaging in this hobby and have an itchy dick. I got one once - easy to treat. Get the Canesten pill and cream.
VasDeferens

Post by VasDeferens »

No. Blood tests are specifically requested. "Routine" bloodwork does not include STI's

Please do not ignore or hope or think or otherwise minimize any signs of STI's.

STI's will not only not go away, they get worse and can become harder to treat.

They are much easier to treat at the earliest symptoms. Especially Herpes. Having itchy or tingling areas on your dick, lips, eyes or asshole are symptoms of an impending outbreak of herpes. (Not saying that any itch is herpes, but make the safe assumption that it may be and go get tested as if your sex life depends on it.

You can call any of the many telephone medicine services and get a phone appointment to speak to a Dr within an hour or two.

You will get the Test Requisition emailed to you and you go to the Lab to get blood drawn. I don't know if the Lab will do a swap on a suspected herpes sore but ask the Dr on the phone.

Make sure to tell the Dr that you do not want the results forwarded to your Family Doctor if that is a concern. They absolutely will not send the results to your Dr.

Easier than booking the Leolist whore that infected you!
Buster

Post by Buster »

just go to teletest.ca and get it done. There is a thread here. If you are rawdogging hookers on a regular basis you should be doing this every few months anyway . If you can't afford that go to public health - And no your routine blood test will not be screened for STDs also gonno and Chlamydia are from urine tests which is what you likely have if you have anything
LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly »

Buster wrote: Sun 05-Mar-2023 5:25 pm just go to teletest.ca and get it done. There is a thread here. If you are rawdogging hookers on a regular basis you should be doing this every few months anyway . If you can't afford that go to public health - And no your routine blood test will not be screened for STDs also gonno and Chlamydia are from urine tests which is what you likely have if you have anything
Update: I got tested by Teletest and I dodged a bullet. My UTI cleared up on its own and I tested negative for STIs.
blueman

Post by blueman »

LeadBelly wrote: Sun 12-Mar-2023 12:32 pm ...

Update: I got tested by Teletest and I dodged a bullet. My UTI cleared up on its own and I tested negative for STIs.
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know :)