How do they know you're using an phone app?

Moderator: blueman

Rampage80

Re: How do they know you're using an phone app?

Post by Rampage80 »

willy wrote: Thu 11-Feb-2021 11:40 pm
Flatulent Fox wrote: Tue 09-Feb-2021 2:34 pm There are websites where you can look up the carrier for a phone number. If it's Rogers, Bell, etc., it's a real phone. If it's some other internet/telecom company (e.g. Distributel), it's voip or an app.
Yep this is correct.
EATMYSOX wrote: Thu 11-Feb-2021 3:57 pm Most free text apps have a watermark that most likely can't be removed, or they can't accept calls. I use an app called "Burner" $5 a month for one line that you can make and receive calls and text with no limit. Also text apps usually have some random area code. I have a 647 number with Burner and you wouldn't be able to figure out that it's a phone app.
I have recently discovered line2 which is $15 a month, not sure if its worth it over the free apps. You can still determine if a phone is from an app even if it has a 647 area code.
Can any of these app accept whatsapp as well? On that note, can you have 2 whatsapp accounts on the same phone?
funlovin

Re: How do they know you're using an phone app?

Post by funlovin »

Rampage80 wrote: Wed 27-Oct-2021 9:59 am On that note, can you have 2 whatsapp accounts on the same phone?
As I recall, that depends on the phone. Last I checked you couldn't have two whatsapp accounts on the same whatsapp install - but some phones support (natively or with an app) the ability to install multiple copies of an app (say for example a personal and a work "account") where the settings are independent from each other. So you install Whatsapp under two different "accounts", and each one can have a separate number/user.